Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Bringing Balance to the Force

Credit: TRX Training

It's been about 8 years since I've used a gym with any regularity, reverting to the streets, hills and roads of my local environs instead.  One of the major downfalls of "just running" is that you slowly neglect the important aspects of training that help you in long distances.

So I've been doing some research online about core training, like this video from Outside Magazine on what Craig Alexander does for his core.


Today I met with our school's trainer to go over some ways in which I could improve my balance, strength and stability over the course of a long, long run like an ultramarathon.  What an eye-opening experience.  There are so many things wrong with just my basic posture, not to mention my core and back strength and stability.

Here's the long list of things I need to do to begin to improve my overall endurance and fitness:

Bodyweight squats
Single-leg squats (TRX, box)
Single-leg deadlifts
Split squat (TRX, box)
Lateral lunge
Lateral step-up to balance
Hip extension (stability ball, TRX)
Hamstring curls (stability ball, TRX)
Single-leg jumps
Pushup Matrix (staggered, stability ball, TRX)
Pull-ups
Plank Matrix (layout with medicine ball and/or TRX)
Back extensions (superman)
Russian Twist (scissors)
Barefoot running (grass, sand)
Burpees

Today's session was an orientation, but in the short time we had, I realized that with age, and lack of paying attention to these things, I've lost a lot of explosiveness and strength that I had 10 years ago.  Back then I was much more nimble and pliable after I dropped my initial 45 lbs and was running 6 times a week.  I realized I am incredibly "out of balance" with my body.  Too much of one thing has led to neglect in another.

Bringing back this additional training will hopefully help me get back to form, and back to balance.

Links:
Trx Training
Outside Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment